Founded in 1922, the automotive business entity now commonly known as Jaguar was originally called the Swallow Sidecar Company, with its home in the north-west coastal town of Blackpool. The original Swallow Sidecar Company was founded by two motorbike enthusiasts, William Walmsley and William Lyons. The company changed its name in 1922, the named shortened to SS Cars Ltd, with the business now located in Coventry. The now commonly known Jaguar Cars Ltd was formed in 1945, with the old business named of SS losing popularity due to the Second World War.
The change of name, and the introduction of several highly success luxury cars in the fifties, saw the company stamp its mark on the market. In 1960, 38 years after Swallow Sidecar Company was founded, Jaguar Cars Ltd bought Daimler Motor Company, which was formally owned by the Birmingham Small Arms Company. This had not been the first time the two companies' paths had crossed, with Jaguar shifting its production to the former Daimler Motor Company factory, located on Browns Lane, in the early fifties. The purchase of Daimler Motor Company from the Birmingham Small Arms Company saw the Daimler name used as a branding name for many of Jaguars most elegantly styled cars in the sixties.