Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Maserati Logo

Maserati began officially in 1926 when the Bologna, Italy, brothers who had previously worked for Diatto creating race cars decided that, after Diatto stopped making race cars, that they would make their own.

They created a race car that won the 1926 Targa Florio race. This race had been held in the mountains of Palermo, Sicily and was both a dangerous and treacherous race that included hairpin turns and temperature differences due to the elevation differences throughout the race. Because this was a difficult circuit to drive around, winning the race brought prestige to the brothers. Enough to send them down the path of manufacturing race cars. Brother Mario created the logo that is known across the world and these brothers began creating four, six, eight, and sixteen cylinder race cars.

Although, brother Alfieri was the driver that won that first race that Maserati had entered, in 1932 he passed away. With his passing, the other brothers continued along for five more years, eventually selling their parts of the company to Adolfo Orsi in 1937. However, these brothers remained an active part of the car designing and took engineering roles with the new company when it relocated to Modena.

maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
maserati logo
Maserati Logo
In 1939, Maserati was the winner of the Indianapolis five hundred in successive years. Then the war came and Maserati stopped making cars and instead concentrated on the war effort. It was a time of trials and tribulations that pitted Maserati against Volkswagen. Maserati attempted to create a car for Mussolini, hoping to do so before Ferry Porsche did for Adolph Hitler. Of course, they failed in that V-sixteen towncar concept. But, the technology was useful in designing the A6 series which became popular after the war.

After the war, Maserati went back to creating race cars. In 1950, Maserati won the World Championship. In 1993, Fiat became the owner of the Maserati name and in 1999, Ferrari, which was also owned by Fiat, lent a V8 engine, as well as an automated manual transmission to the 2002 models known as the Spyder and Coupe with some success. It should come as no surprise that Maserati was created in Italy, the home of Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Subaru Logo

Subaru is a Japanese automobile manufacture, a subdivision of the Fuji Heavy Industries. Fuji Heavy Industries is currently partnered with Toyota Motors who own sixteen and a half percentage of the group. Subaru is well known for its four wheel drive cars as well as high performance turbo charged cars, some of which have competed in motorsports such as the Subaru Impreza WRX. Subaru are distinctive in the fact they use flat engines in all of their vehicles, an engine which uses multiple pistons which all move on a flat horizontal plan of motion. The flat engine was patented by Karl Benz.

Initially formed in nineteen seventy one, the group began as an aircraft research facility. Fifteen years later the company became the Nakajima Aircraft Company and manufactured Japanese aircraft during the Second World War. The end of the war saw another change to the company, this time renaming itself Fugi Sangyo Co, which later added a motor scooter division to its group. The group was dismantled in the early fifties, with the four of these newly formed corporations to merge and become the Fuji Heavy Industries as it is today.

subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
subaru logo
Subaru Logo
The head of the group sought to bring in a car manufacturing division to the company. Initially penned as being called P-1 after the devolvement of the first car which shares the same name, the final name was Subaru, chosen by the CEO K Kita. The P-1 or Subaru 1500 as it was known was only manufactured in very small numbers due to supply problems. Over the company's lifespan many cars have produced, with its modern cars all being four wheel drive.

Lancia Logo

The car maker, which prides itself on its rally and racy heritage, Lancia, was created in nineteen zero six, by Vincenzo Lancia and a close friend. The Italian based automobile manufacture has been known as a car producer which is innovative and creates distinctive models for sale. Lancia is currently in the ownership of the Fiat car group, and has been since it was acquired in the late nineteen sixties. Lancia creates luxury and high end car models, based heavily upon the Fait car models.

The two founders of Lancia, Vincenzo Lancia and Claudio Fogolin, were both motoring enthusiasts and racing drivers for the motoring group Fiat. In nineteen zero six the pair founded the Italian car producer, named Lancia & Co. Based in Turin, the newly formed company began their production range with the tipo 51, a four cylinder motor mobile which began production in nineteen zero eight. Between nineteen thirteen and nineteen eighteen Lancia produced the Theta 35 HP, the larger variation of the Epsilon, which came with the innovative electrical lights and start motor. Between nineteen twenty two and nineteen thirty one Lancia produced the Lambda, the first ever load bearing monocoque body type. Over eleven thousand of these innovative models were produced, which also came equipped with the first independent suspension. 
  
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
lancia logo
Lancia Logo
The Lancia Aurelia, penned by the designer Vittorio Jano, is considered a farther of the long distance, high performance grand tourers. In production for a total of eight years, the Aurelia was the first car fitted with a V6 engine, with over thirteen thousand of the series produced. 
  
Exporting to the USA proved unprofitable, with a small scale export system in place within the nineteen fixities and nineteen sixties, but full export began in the mid nineteen seventies. The American market showed poor demand for the European brand, and the manufacture withdrew from the American market, along with Fait, in the early nineteen eighties.

In the UK, Lancia cars suffered from a prone to rusting, which plagued many models and customer confidence in the Lancia brand. Lancia was well aware of the damage this saga was inflicting on its brand image, and with UKs being its biggest export market the company decided to offer to part exchanges the cars for unaffected models through its dealership network.

Vauxhall Logo

Vauxhall cars (the company is known as Vauxhall Motors) was born in UK and it became a very well known car company. Vauxhall Motors is a company subsidiary of General Motors- the world's largest automaker.

The company was founded by Wilson Alexander in 1856 in a beautiful London city that gives the company name- Vauxhall. Initially, the company name was Alex Wilson and Company, then Vauxhall Iron Works and it was specialize in building pumps and marine engines.

vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
vauxhall logo
Vauxhall Logo
First Vauxhall car was built in 1903. It was a 5 hp model, using a tiller, 2 forward gears and no reverse gear. Interesting, don't you think? Beginning with this model, the car was designed in many other versions and then were available for sale.

When things start working, the company decided to increase its production and moved almost entire production to Luton in 1905. The company was selling cars under Vauxhall Iron Works brand. This stopped in 1907, when they've decided to call the company "Vauxhall Motors", a name kept over the years, till our days. The company was characterized by its sport models until the 1st World War and then designed only austere models.

Vauxhall Motors was bought by General Motors in 1925 for 2.5 million $. And from that year Vauxhall was influenced by American cars and with Ford (that was Vauxhall's main competitor) influenced the style of European car manufacturers.

During the 2nd World War car production was suspended because Vauxhall was needed to work on the Churchill tanks which was designed and assembled at Luton in almost 1 year. There were built over 5,600 Churchill tanks. 

After the war, car production resumed but models were designed as a more mass-market product leading to expansion of the company. In the 60's Vauxhall acquired a reputation for making rust-prone models and that was very bad for it. Although the corrosion protection built into models the reputation dogged the company until the 80's.

From the 70's, many of company models were designed and built in partnership with Opel in Germany (Adam Opel GmbH- known as Opel is an automobile manufacturer based in Germany). Models like Chevette, Cavalier and Carlton were basically restyled versions of the Kadett, Ascona and Rekord. The Viceroy was a simply new version of Opel Commodore imported from Germany. And that was the beginning for the "Opelisation" of Vauxhall. General Motors policy was that Vauxhall to be rebadged Opels, designed and developed in Russelsheim with much less help from Luton.

In 70's and 80's General Motors sold duplicate cars: Opel and Vauxhall alongside each other. General Motors Europe then began to standardize model names across both brands in early 90's. Almost all Vaxhall's models now have the same names as those of Opel (the exception is VX220 sold by Opel as Speedstar).

The Luton plant closed in 2000, but production still continues at the plant in Ellesmere Port. Despite already meeting efficiency targets, Vauxhall has been told to further improve its productivity.

BMW Logo

Karl Friedrich Rapp is the name of the founder of BMW - one of the biggest world wide car manufacturing companies. BMW or Bayerische Motoren Werke (Bavarian Motor Works) was founded in 1916 as a successor to the Rapp Motor.

Many people think that the logo of BMW comes from a spinning white propeller seen in the background of the blue sky. This may be so but in fact it is known that it also comes from the white and blue flag of Bavaria - the largest state of Germany. The capital city of the state is Munich and this is the place where even today we can find the BMW Headquarters.

In 1916 with the foundation of the company a contract was secured for building V12 engines. These engines were about to be used in the creation of the automobiles from Austro-Daimler. These 12 cylinders V engines were at first used in aircraft which is the original plan of the BMW Company. Taking in account the time when the company was founded it was very likely for them to continue like that.

However in 1919 after the World War I and the Treaty of Versailles the production of aircraft in Germany was prohibited and that quickly changed the politics of BMW. They began making brakes for the Rail transport. Soon after that BMW was able to design a motorcycle engine which was used for the creation of a motorcycle called with the model name Victoria. However Victoria was not built by BMW but by another company in Nuremberg.

bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
bmw logo
BMW Logo
In 1924 BMW made a model of a motorcycle which was the first one they built - the R32. This was a turning point in the BMW history because it was a major achievement and for decades they used its technology - 500 cc engines cooled down by the air. Soon after that BMW added one new innovation - the driveshaft. It came to replace the chain for driving the rear wheel and became a mark of BMW for quite some time.

In the German city Eisenach in 1927 began the production of Dixi - under license but only a year after that the Dixi Company was bought by BMW and they began mass production together with the model Austin Seven.

When the World War I began BMW took its place in it because of the German army's motorized division. They used BMW R75 together with BMW R12. Because of the high need of engines BMW note that period as highly profitable. BMW was the main supplier and even today words like Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht brings many memories. Some of the best planes in that historical time used the BMW aero-engines and till the 1945 more than 30 000 planes with these engines were manufactured.

BMW even made researches which enabled the company to make different jet engines for weapons. With the use of some men power consisting mainly by prisoners of the war BMW made many rocket-based weapons that were used in the war.

Soon after the creation of the rocket-based weapons parts of the company were bombed. Soviets razed to the ground most of the company located in eastern Germany and the base factory in Munich was almost completely destroyed.

After the war BMW was not able to quickly recover because of the need to rebuild the factory in Munich. After that when the restrictions from the Allies applied BMW was banned for three long years in which the company was forbidden from producing motorcycles until 1948 and cars until 1952.

In 1951 the Bavarian company was able to regain all trademarks and it looked like it was finally able to recover and start again from what was left. In 1959 Herbert Quandt became the "wheel" which turned the BMW around because he denied a deal with Daimler-Benz and soon after that he increased his share in the BMW Company up to 50%.

The name of Kurt Golda is stated as the man who incited Quandt to do this step and in the same year BMW began production of the BMW 700 which was based on the BMW 600. This small car used 2-cylinder, air-cooled engines and some years later it was renamed to "LS". Coupe and some cabriolet series were also manufactured.

In 1963 BMW offered dividends to the shareholders of the company and in 1966 the factory in Munich reached its maximum capacity and BMW bought Hans Glas GmbH. This deal enabled BMW to use factories in Landshut and Dingolfing.

With some new style provided by Bertone in 1972 BMW began production of 5 new series and in the years to follow the company made a big progress in the market. For 6 years under the leadership of Bernd Pischetsrieder BMW was able to expand its deal in the market by buying from British Aerospace the Rover Group. Rover Group's history starts in 1986 and till the moment when BMW owned it this company was able to achieve many things like for example the Rover 400 in 1990.

However the Rover was sold to Phoenix Venture Holdings and Ford Motor Company because of some years of losses for BMW. Jokingly the press called the Rover "The English Patient" after the release of the namesake film. This however was not very hard on BMW and they were spared from taking the blame. It looks like that even the British press was not very enthusiastic about the Rover.

BMW began production outside of Germany in 1994. New factories were made in South Carolina and even today the manufacturing of BMW X5 and BMW Z4 is made there. There are factories in some other places too like Oxford, Goodwood and others. After some time of assembly BMW began production in South Africa. Today BMW exports more than 50 000 3 Series vehicles yearly to Japan, USA, Africa, Australia and the Middle East.

In order to serve the market in Eastern Europe and Middle East BMW are planning to begin construction of a new plant located in Cyprus or Greece. A plant in Chennai, India already opened production in 2007.